October 2, 2018 – 4708 MDEQ issued another Violation Notice to Terrehaven Farms, letter dated Oct. 2, 2018. Terrehaven has been operating under an Administrative Consent Order (ACO) since Nov. 6, 2013, during which time it has received several citations for discharges, improper waste containment, and improper application of waste. This time, Terrehaven was cited for:
- Production area waste not properly contained and continuing to flow to the agricultural field to the east.
- Section of concrete pad in manure transfer area in the central barn was missing; “needs to be replaced to ensure that all CAFO production area waste is collected and transferred to the appropriate waste storage structure.”
- Silage storage pad does not have adequate containment . . . “there were signs that runoff from the feed additive storage area had overflowed the berm and flowed to the vegetated areas south and west of the silage pad”.
- “[C]ement blocks should be added and back-filled with clay all along the western side of the silage pad.”
- Storm water collection drain just north of the south animal barns needs modification. “The way this collection area is currently designed there is potential for stormwater carrying excess nutrients from the feed lanes to reach this area and be discharged off site. The location is also very near the manure storage and spillover could reach the drain and be discharged off site as well.”
- Depth marker not visible in north manure lagoon.
- “Significant amounts of manure residue were present along the upper edges of the northern liquid waste storage structure berms.”
- Runoff from the driveway between the northern barns was not being collected within a waste storage structure.
- Solid manure spilled over containment wall in the containment area at the west side of the northern barns.
MDEQ gave Terrehaven deadlines of Dec. 1, 2018 and June 1, 2019 to provide evidence of compliance. ACO still remains in effect.